Total Pageviews

Translate

Sunday, April 28, 2019

The Tracks Of Life







































When I was born, you sat under shade of a chôm chôm.
Fighting for our country, in the jungles of Vietnam.
You returned to the nation you love, and to the family you'd been missing.
Though I knew you not, you picked me up, and plastered me with kissing.

We moved around as you searched for work, managing the great Red Steer.
You let me choose my own drink, mixing Dr. Pepper with root beer.
In the mountains we spent much time. You taught me the fishing knot.
You showed to put upon the hook the grasshoppers I had caught.

You tightly held my banana seat as I learned to ride a bike.
You cheered at my achievement. I'd no longer need a trike.
You taught me competition, and how to throw a ball.
You encouraged me to always, get up if I should fall.

You showed me when mistakes are made, if some we do offend.
That even though it hurts, we must quickly make amends.
So many years have passed, into a man I now have grown.
Today I am found raising, a young boy of my own.

My journey has but only started, there is much that lies ahead.
Happiness and hardships, yet forward I will tread.
The pathway windily traverses, adventure it never lacks.
Sometimes our load is lightened, sometimes heavy on our backs.

I look forward to what may come, to the future how it lay.
For this father and his son, will together make their way.
Tracks of life behind us. Before us endless more.
The rails keep us moving, toward our heaven's shore.

By Horace R Hallenberger II

No comments:

Post a Comment