Total Pageviews

Translate

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Love At First Sight Worked For Me!

So after my post "Prove It", I have had many people ask about how my beautiful wife, Trina, and I met, so I thought I would share for everyone. I must apologize because this one is a little long. But each part is important to the story so be patient and I promise it will be worth it!

After I completed my mission for LDS Church in the Santa Rosa, CA Mission, I returned home to Boise and tried to get back into the swing of non-missionary life. It was difficult because so much had changed, most of all myself. Many of the things that I liked before my mission were now things that didn't matter so much anymore.

I had attended Utah State University on a full ride scholarship for music prior to my mission and that was still
an option if I chose to return. I loved Utah State and had a lot of fun during my freshman year there, but I had now taken 2 years away from school and had a new perspective of what I wanted to become. All through my High School Years and into that first year of college, I had a dream to play the tuba for the Boston Pops. I wanted to perform on the biggest stages with some of the best musicians in the world. I was confident that I could do it too.

The tuba had come easily for me to learn. From day one I was a natural. Though my size completely shouted out piccolo player, I was going to play the tuba. Throughout my junior high and high school years I was usually the only tuba player. This meant that I was always first chair. I had no competition. I didn't know how good I was until it would come time for Honors Band or All-State Band and there were other tuba players for me to test my abilities against. Honors Band and All-State Bands required students to tryout in order to be accepted. For four straight years I was selected to both bands. Each time I would compete for first chair within those bands. Each time I would make it.

Sometimes I felt bad because the other tuba players would talk about how hard they worked at becoming a good player. I don't want you to think that I didn't practice hard but I didn't practice nearly as hard as I could of nor as often. Every piece of music that was placed in front of me I would quickly and easily learn.

When I first got to Utah State University I was humbled when I competed for 1st chair and I was placed as 3rd chair behind a couple of seniors. I wasn't sure how to handle this other than to become one of those hard working players that I knew in high school. Within a couple of weeks I had moved to second chair but it was another month before I achieved my goal and became the 1st chair tuba player for the Utah State University Symphonic, Marching and Pep Bands. I was even given the opening solo for the Marching Band's opening piece "Killer Joe".

From 1984-1988 I played in the school bands, city bands, and even played with the Utah State Symphony once. In Alaska, we had the privilege of meeting the United States Air Force Band and the Canadian Brass.
Both of which I was able to play with during their visits. I received great advice from those band members as well as some encouragement. The tuba player for the Air Force Band told me he was very impressed with my level of play at that age. He told me that he definitely could see me playing one day for the Boston Pops.

However, when I returned from my mission, I realized what it was going to take to one day play for the Boston Pops. The chances were extremely slim. More than likely I would end up teaching junior high band and that was something I was certainly not interested in. The dream was a good one, but I just wasn't interested in the schooling that would be required for me to get there and to me the risk of not making it was also not worth it. The life of a musician can be glorious but the number of musicians that make it big compared to those who do not has quite a gap. For me, though I thought I was good enough, I did not want to play for just any band. I wanted the Boston Pops. That would make the road that much more difficult.

So I decided to forego my scholarship and utilize the skills that I gained serving as a missionary for my church. I had a new love for people and the ability to talk to all of them. I would become a salesman. I contacted Sonja Jensen, one of the church members that I had met on my mission, who lived in San Rafael. She owned a little print shop/copy center called Ram Insta-Print. They offered me a job running the hi-speed copy center with the chance to move up into a printing sales position. I told them I would accept the position and made the preparations to leave.

I wasn't sure how I was going to make it work financially because I didn't have a car and only about $1500 to my name. I had nowhere to live either. I called one of the families, the Becker's, that I had become very good friends with and asked if I could stay with them for a short while until I found something. They were very willing and told me they would love to have me for a while. So I moved back to California.

The Becker s lived in Novato, which is located north of San Rafael. I would need to drive about 20 miles into work. When I arrived at the Becker's home, I was greeted with hugs and then I followed them downstairs to where they had set up a place for me. They had basically made a small apartment downstairs off of the garage that had it's own entrance too. It didn't have a kitchen but it had a small studio apartment type feel with a living area, bed, and a separate bathroom. They said that I could use the kitchen upstairs as well and to make myself at home. The rest of the house was beautiful and spacious. There was a grand piano in the living room, a pool table in the family room as well as a big screen TV and mini fridge. Outside was a ground level trampoline, hot tub and a wonderful swimming pool. A bachelor's dream!

I called Sonja and told her I had made it to town and then made arrangements with Jon Canaan to carpool with into work. He worked somewhere that was conveniently nearby my job. I was all set. Things couldn't go any better. But they actually did!

My first day at work went very well. I learned about all kinds of paper types and was trained on how to use the new high tech copy machines that could copy in color, collate, staple, 3-hole punch and even put nice covers on. After work Sonja gave me the number of a friend of theirs who was an older woman and she was recently widowed. She was selling one of her cars. I contacted her and made an appointment to visit her and see the vehicle.

When I got to her house she took me to her garage where I found two cars parked inside. One was a very nice luxury car that she said had been her husband's car and a cute little VW Rabbit next to it. "The Rabbit was my car" she said. "I didn't drive it much, just to and from the grocery store and sometimes to my bowling league. The rest of the time we always drove my husband's car. Now I don't need it because I have his car to enjoy."

I looked at the Rabbit and it was in great condition. It was a '79 so about 12 years old. It had 4 doors and a sun roof. All leather interior and the best part, it was diesel! Not a big deal in Idaho, but it was golden in California. I looked at the mileage and it said 38,000 miles! She wasn't kidding that she hadn't driven it much. I got nervous that I wouldn't be able to afford it now.

"How much are you asking for it?" I asked.

"I just want to get rid of it without a hassle." She replied. "Sonja is a good friend and she told me that you were a fine young man that had a good need for it. I will sell it to you for $1200 cash, or $1500 and you can make me payments."

I hoped that the shock on my face was not apparent. "You are so kind." I said. I can have the cash for you tomorrow. She nodded and threw me the keys.

"You can sign the title tomorrow when you come back with your money," she said. And with that, I was set.

The car was perfect for me. It got about 60 miles per gallon so I could drive a lot and not spend too much. I did have to learn where the diesel stations were located just in case. In 1991 there were not a lot of standard gas stations that also had diesel offered.

I was only making about $8/hr and I had $300 left after purchasing the vehicle. I was not having much luck finding a place to live either. Most of the apartments were more than $1000/month. The places that were near where I worked were even more! After a week of looking for a place, the Becker's came downstairs and knocked on the door to my room. I opened the door and they both burst out that they would like me to stay permanently. I thanked them but I said I didn't want to stay anywhere for free. It was important to me that I earned my way and contributed as well. They said that they would figure out a "rent" for me and they went out the door and back upstairs. About 10 minutes later they returned, knocking at my door. They told me that they had made a decision and hoped that it work for me. The offer was $100/month plus a 6-pack of diet coke every week to help stock up the mini-fridge. This would include access to the entire home, amenities and even included the kitchen and food! I thought about it for about, say, half a second! I couldn't pass it up. I asked them if they were sure and they said absolutely. They liked having me around, their kids enjoyed my company and they also knew they would be out of town often, so they needed someone who could watch the house.

I was now living the dream on $8 per hour. I got a very part time job at the Roger Wilco grocery store as well. My rent was low, my gas was low and my food expenses were low even though I ate out a lot.  I was called by the church to serve as the Regional Young Single Adult rep for the area. This pretty much included my mission area which consisted of the northern California coastline up to the Oregon border and down to the Golden Gate Bridge. My duties were to put together events for all of the 18-30 year old single people, like dances, devotionals and other fun stuff. Many times this meant everyone was invited to my residence when the Becker's were on one of their excursions to Tahoe. We had pool parties, movie parties and just hung out a lot. It also opened the door up for some dating. Dating was fun. Mostly because I had little competition. Many of the young women were searching for good young men who had served a mission and that basically was just me.

Most of the other young men who had served missions would quickly move away from home to places like Utah or Idaho where they could afford to live and go to school. My setup allowed me to stay in California. So I dated a lot. I was having fun but it was a little disturbing that so many of the girls I was interested in were talking about marriage on the FIRST date! (Note to you single ladies out there, this is not recommended if you are truly looking to get married!) I was just not ready for that.

I was doing very well. My bank account was beginning to grow. I had lots of friends and lots of fun. This went on for about 7 months and then something kept creeping into my mind that I needed to go home. I ignored it for a while. The feeling wouldn't go away. I called my Dad and explained to him my feelings and he told me to pray about it and do what you feel is right. That was a no-brainer! Look at my life! Why would I possibly give this up? I stalled a week but the feeling never went away. So I hit my knees and prayed to see why I was getting this feeling all the time. Instantly I received my answer. As clear as day, I knew that I needed to go home. I didn't know why but I knew that I would find out later.

So I quit my job, said good-byes to everyone and moved back to Boise. During the drive home I contemplated all of the possibilities as to why I was going home. It became clear that I was to return to school and finish my education.

Once home, I immediately began to make arrangements to transfer my Utah State University records over to Boise State University. I became extremely frustrated at the process and felt that I wasn't getting anywhere. I soon found out that most of my records would not transfer to BSU. This meant I would basically begin again as a freshman. Then I found out that I wouldn't be able to attend until the following fall semester. I was angry and decided that I would return to my California life at least until the following year.

On Sept 7, 1991, I was about to pick up the phone to call the Becker's and Sonja to let them know I was
coming. As I reached for the handset I was startled when it began to ring. I answered the phone and to my great surprise it was a great friend from Alaska. My best friend Tony Darling's little sister Jenny was calling to let me know they were heading to Rexburg to visit Tony and surprise him for his birthday on the upcoming Tuesday. I asked who "we"
was and she said it was her, her little brother, Seth, and Sarah Anderson.

I thought for a moment and thought "what could it hurt?" I could call California later. "I will meet you guys there on Monday." I said. "I have a few things to do tomorrow before I leave."

It had been a while since I had been to Eastern Idaho. I had moved away from there to Homer, Alaska during my 10th grade year. I decided to contact some of my old friends and see if I could stop by while I was in the area. I really wanted to see one person in particular. The girl I'd had the biggest crush on since 1st grade, Diana Almohanna. Actually, I think everyone had a crush on Diana. She was the sweetest person I knew and she was gorgeous as well. I talked to a couple of friends and they told me that Diana was still in the area and she was still single. My heart leaped in my chest at the thought.

I got her phone number and nervously dialed her up. A few years prior I never would have had the courage to make that call. I had really changed in my confidence. Even so, I was still shaking as I heard the phone ringing through the handset. When Diana answered, I cleared my throat and said "Hi Diana, this is Horace Hallenberger, I'm not sure if you remem..."

I didn't get to finish my sentence. Diana excitedly exclaimed "Horace, how have you been! I can't believe it!"

I could hear she was genuinely happy to hear my name. That gave me all the confidence I needed. "It's been a long time! I wasn't sure you would remember me or not."

"Horace, I couldn't forget you!" She replied.

I continued, "I am coming to Eastern Idaho on Monday to visit an old friend up in Rexburg. I was hoping that maybe you would like to go out to dinner and a movie or something on Tuesday evening before I head home?"

"I am free that night, that would be great! I'm excited to see you again!" She answered.

"Great! I will pick you up at 6:00pm."  I got her address and said good bye. I hung up the phone and sat there and grinned from ear to ear. I was going to go out with the girl of my dreams in only two days.

Sunday couldn't pass quick enough. I couldn't get the thought of seeing Tony and Diana out of my mind. I kept asking myself if Diana would like me now. I had changed a lot since the last time I saw her. I was about 5 feet 1 inch tall and under 100 lbs as a sophomore in high school. Now I was 10 inches taller and 60 lbs heavier. I felt that my chances were much greater now.

Monday late morning I headed for Rexburg. The Rabbit was running nice and I had the sun roof open and the beach boys blasting. I was pretty excited for this trip. I stopped for lunch at a burger place in Twin Falls and made it into Rexburg mid afternoon. I met Jenny, Seth and Sarah and they took me to Tony's apartment. He had already seen them but they hadn't told him that I was coming. We knocked on the door and one of Tony's roommates answered. He said that Tony was in his bedroom and he went to get him for us. When Tony finally appeared his eyes became wide when he saw who was standing in the doorway. "Horace Hallenberger, is that you?" He asked as he came to me and we embraced in a bear hug.

It was so good to see Tony. Tony's family was very close to my family in Alaska and Tony was a great friend for me through some very difficult times. We talked for hours about our missions, music and Alaska. It was great. He told me he had to go to a class but that I could stay at his apartment. We made plans to meet up later that evening with everyone so we could celebrate his birthday.

After he left, I met up with Jenny, Seth and Sarah again. They said they were going over to Jenny's old apartment from the previous year to visit her old roommates. She had graduated in the spring but the girls that she roomed with were still there.When we got there we found that there were a whole bunch of people at the apartment. They were having a family home evening with some of the guys and other girls who lived in the nearby apartments. They were playing a game of some sorts. Jenny and Sarah saw some girls they knew and went over and sat with them. Seth and I sat on the crowded floor right inside the door and watched the game. It seemed a little confusing and there was too much commotion with that many people crammed into the little apartment.

We were talking and laughing as we watched. Then I stopped and caught myself staring into the little kitchen area. Seth saw me and asked me what I was looking at.

"That's the girl I'm going to marry." I said.

"What are you talking about?" Seth asked and laughed at my comment.

"That's the girl I'm going to marry." I repeated and I pointed at a pretty blond girl walking around in the kitchen. She was wearing a soft green shirt with white polka dots and blue jeans. Her hair was long and was pulled back and fastened with a banana clip. The front of her hair curled and puffed up with hair spray. She was beautiful.

Seth still wasn't buying it. "Whatever dude, you're crazy." He said.

I didn't hear much else. I just watched the pretty girl in the polka dots.

After we left, Seth told Jenny and Sarah what I had said. They laughed and thought I was silly. "Her name is Trina." Jenny told me.

Trina. I love that name, I thought to myself.

Later that evening we all met at the bowling alley for Tony's birthday party. Jenny's roommates came too, and they brought Trina with them. Watching her, I could tell she was athletic. She had a beautiful smile and I loved watching her smile and laugh with everyone. After bowling we went to JB's for some dessert. I sat at a table with Seth and conveniently were at the same table as Trina. I finally had the opportunity to speak to her. We had a great time and we all laughed a lot. I decided to try a bold move. I bet her a quarter that I could kiss her on the mouth without touching her lips. The plan was to go in for a kiss and lose the quarter. She accepted the bet but when I made my move to kiss her, she turned her head right before and I planted one on her cheek. That was good enough for me though.

After we left JB's we all went our separate ways. Seth and I went over to Tony's place. Jenny called and said that she heard that Trina liked me. I asked her if she thought we could see her again that night. She said probably if we wanted to go by her apartment. So Seth and I got in the Rabbit and headed that direction. I told Seth that we couldn't go without taking some flowers. So we drove up to the Student Union building. Out in front of the building was a big circle that was landscaped with lots of flowers. I parked and told Seth to run up and pick some of the prettiest flowers. We looked around to make sure that nobody would see us.

When all was clear, Seth bolted out of the car and ran over to the flowers. He picked a whole bunch of them and then sprinted back to the car. He jumped in and we quickly drove away. Then we both were caught up by an awful smell. We realized soon that it was the flowers. They were very pretty, but they smelled horrible. What should we do? We decided that stinky flowers were better than no flowers and we drove on to Trina's apartment.

The girls in the apartment were obviously waiting for us to arrive. Jenny and Sarah must have spilled the beans. I asked Trina if she wanted to go for a walk and she agreed. She put her shoes on and we ventured out into the dark night. We walked and talked for a couple of hours. Just the two of us. We talked about our families, school, sports, my mission and lots of other things. It was very comfortable. I loved everything about this girl. Her voice was peaceful, her eyes were sparkling, her hair was gorgeous, her laugh was infectious. I was totally twitterpated. I wanted to know everything about her.

It was very late when I finally walked her back to her apartment and said good-night. I felt a little bad because she had told me that she was running the mile run on the track in the morning and would be timed. But she didn't seem too worried about it.

The next morning I went to the track and watched her run. It was clear to me that she had run this way before. She had a long stride and was quite elegant as she set her pace. Her legs were shapely and athletic and I was mesmerized as I watched. She was easily outpacing the other racers. I was impressed.

I talked with her for a bit after her run then she had to "run" to her next class. We made arrangements to meet up in the afternoon before I headed out of town. When we did meet I had a hard time ending the time together. I had never felt this way before. I stretched out my stay to the very last possible moment then said my goodbyes to Tony and then Trina. I drove off watching her in my rear view mirror. Would I ever see her again? I had to. I would have to figure out a way.

Jenny, Seth and Sarah had decided to go to Provo before they headed back to Washington. They wanted to stop and see Kirsten Ballentine, another friend of ours from Alaska who was attending BYU.  They invited me along and I said sure, I would meet them in Pocatello the following morning. We would drive together to Provo and I'd leave my car in Pocatello and then pick it up on our way back.

I got to Pocatello and checked into the Super 8 Motel. I had about an hour to prepare for my date with Diana Almohanna. For some strange reason, I was no longer nervous about that date. I had been waiting for that night for about 15 years. I had played it out in my mind a thousand times. I had always been nervous even when I was just dreaming about it. But now I stood in front of the mirror just minutes away from living that dream and I was as calm as I'd ever been.

I drove up to Diana's apartment and rang the bell. I took a deep breath as I waited for her to answer. The door opened and Diana smiled at me and then gave me a big hug. She was still as sweet as ever. I walked her to the car and we drove to dinner. We talked about a lot of things. It was a very enjoyable evening. I finally told her about the crush I had on her since first grade. I was caught off guard by her response to this revelation. She asked why I hadn't said anything before. She then told me that she had thought I was cute growing up and kinda had a crush on my too. I had to stop her there. I didn't like knowing that I might have had the slightest chance back then.

Our discussion was nice. It was good to reminisce. We talked about current dating prospects. She said she wasn't currently dating anyone. I told her I had recently fallen in love. Yes, I actually told her that. And from there it all came flowing out. I told her everything about meeting Trina. Diana was so sweet. She sat and listened and seemed genuinely happy for my new found joy. She told me that Trina sounded like a great girl and that she was excited for me. I told her thanks, but that though I was in love with Trina, I didn't know when I would see her again. Diana said that everything would work out if it was meant to be.

It never got awkward but we did decide that our long dinner and conversation was enough for our date and we called it a night and skipped the movie. I took her home and walked her to her door. She gave me a hug and I told her thanks for the date and also for the many years of being my friend. She told me that she hoped everything worked out with Trina. And with that we said good-night.

I drove home contemplating all that had happened. Had all this really happened? What would happen next? I tossed and turned that night.

The next morning I woke up late and hurried to get ready so I could meet Jenny, Seth and Sarah on time. I walked out to my car and waited just a few minutes when they pulled up in Jenny's car. They all got out and to my surprise they had an extra passenger. A pretty blonde exited the vehicle and looked at me with a big beautiful smile. "Surprise!" She said.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Trina had decided to skip a couple of days of classes so that she could spend another couple of days with me.

That's how it all began. A couple of days extended to a week. I finally did return home. The day I came home I drove to Trina's parents house in Boise and introduced myself. Then I would drive every weekend to Rexburg to spend every minute possible with my girl. We talked on the phone in the evenings and I wrote her letters and poems everyday. It took a while but my love for her finally became contagious and she returned her love for me.

I know this is a long story. A very long story. A story that is still being written today, more than 25 years later. A story that will be written for the next eternity. A story with a beautiful beginning, chalk full of plots, but never an ending!


To always be continued..........

No comments:

Post a Comment